Wednesday, May 11, 2022

My $55,000 AT&T Nightmare


For the longest time, I had the awesome internet service of Dynamite WiFi. Then, about Mid-April their carrier lost their contract and I found myself with no internet service at all. It was suggested to me that I go to the AT&T store in Marianna and get wireless internet with them. And so I did, and man do I regret it. I only had the service for 3 hours when I started getting these emails about overages. Quite a feet with an unlimited plan to break it in three hours, huh? So I immediately called customer service. (Call number 1) They assure me everything's okay, and that I am on an unlimited plan with no balance so far. This was on the very Friday I signed up for it. So along comes more emails about overages, including a disturbing one claiming I already owe them 5,000 Dollars. So I call the AT&T store this time. (Call number 2) They punt me to the dreaded customer service robot. The stupid robot tries to send a text pin to my router as if it were a phone. I hang up and call the store again. They punt me to the robot again. By this time I am fucking livid! I rage curse the robot until it connects me with a human who once again reassures me that everything is okay and not to worry. Come Wednesday, my internet is no longer working and I receive yet more emails about overages. By this time I had resolved to break up with AT&T after a relationship of less than one week. It was clearly not working out. Too bad. I am great decoration for anybody's arm. So this time I decided to return to the AT&T store in Marianna on the following Friday, exactly one week after I had signed up for Hell in the first place. You can't punt me to the robot if I am standing right there, right? Wrong. They said I had to call customer service again to cancel my account. So I do so without leaving the store. The person I finally reach after fighting the robot yet again tells me that my account is now canceled with no balance due. I have someone at the store look up my account and confirm this to be true. I was taking no chances. Walking out of the store, I almost felt reassured, but still I had a bad feeling. That proved true when this past Saturday I received a bill in the mail for, get this, $55,219.60. Yes you read that right: Fifty five thousand two hundred nineteen dollars and sixty cents. What the fuck? So I call these yahoos again (Call number 4) They tell me that somebody in Marianna signed me up wrong and not to worry, that I would hear from them by the next evening. Next evening rolls around. Still no response. So I call the stupid robot again (Call number 5) They put me on hold for 15 minutes, I hear one ring then guess what? Dead silence. I wait and wait but still nothing. I hang up and call again. (Call Number 6) I fight the robot again. God, I despise that fucking robot with a passion that words can't describe! Finally I am connected to some bozo that claims the department that handles such bullshit was closed. Despite me talking to them almost exactly 24 hours ago.  I tell this bozo I'm wasting my time and this time I'm the one who does the sudden hanging up. Just because I feel I must do something, I file complaints with both the BBB and the FCC. Might not do any good, but it made me feel a little stress relief to vent. I get a call from AT&T (Call Number 7) when I got home from work who tells me it should be resolved by 7 pm. 7 passes and I hear nothing. I did, however hear back from the FCC saying they had contacted AT&T and I should hear from them. And.... That's where it stands so far. Don't make my mistake, people. Do not deal with these people. The way they force their robot on people shows just how much they care about helping anyone. Hell I even tried going to their website to email them and what do I get? The phone number for that goddamn robot. Seriously? Maybe AT&T is a good choice if nothing ever goes wrong. But customer service is sure lacking. They think they've invented Robo Jesus Christ. They love non human decisions too. A bill that huge should clearly have been flagged for human oversight. Obviously they let their computers and robots run everything. They are certainly no friends of humanity. The majority of humans you might reach after fighting Robo Jesus are script following clods who don't know shit and have little if any knowledge or power to help you. If you find yourself caught up in that machinery, you have found yourself in Hell. On my last call where they called me the lady did seem finally to be someone maybe knowledgeable and helpful, but after 6 calls, I am still skeptical as hell. Can you blame me? After that clown at the AT&T store's fuck up that I am paying for in at least stress and anxiety? Will this idiot at least be disciplined? Probably not. This fool holds innocent people's lives in his hands, and he throws them all at the mercy and the feet of The AT&T Robo Jesus Christ-Bot. I have enough anxieties already. I know a faceless corporation could give two shits about a human being they're trying to grind under their wheels is going through, but Christ-bot, this makes Dr Evil seem like Dr Good. Look, Robo Gods, I lost my baby sister. I lost my mother. All in this hell year of 2022. I have a lot of other shit going on that I can't even talk about. I've been teetering on the brink, on a knife's edge of a total emotional and mental meltdown. This was not the time in my life for this bullshit.  This is just unacceptable and totally unbelievable. I will be happy when this is over. I swear on my life, I will never deal with AT&T again for as long as I live. Now I'm getting texts that they want to talk about my complaint to the BBB. I am sick of talking, assholes. Fix your mistake and leave me alone! 

Update one: (Call Number 8) They tell me the case is still pending because it's so much money? Sure sure For 4 days of unlimited internet? Gimmie a break!  

Update Two: I get an email saying they have "Completed My Request" (Whatever that means)

Update Three: As a result of my complaints to the BBB and the FCC, I Got a call today from AT&T "The Office Of The President" And the lady says I should hear back sometime next week.... And this goes on and on and on...

Update Four: Got a call that the blockheads did not create my dispute case case correctly either so they have to start completely over... What a joke.

 

Update Five:  I may have accidentally hurt some feelings, But I am cautiously optimistic that this nightmare may be finally over. It was never my intention to be an ass, But when you go round and round with these folks for weeks and never get any results and the bill happens to be more than double your yearly income at your job, well...   I couldn't exactly help being a little agitated. After all I was expecting more of the same. Talk talk talk and no resolution. First they still wanted to charge me for wireless phone service that I never had in addition to it all. But, instead (If I am to believe what I heard on the phone) I owe them $68. (I'll be waiting to see that in writing first). Now $68 of what should have been $70.00 a month seems a little much. But it is a whole lot less than $55,000. And so I'll pay it. It'll be a much fairer trade that I will never use them again. If Verizon ever worried about me switching my Cell Phone over, They need not worry anymore. They seem to be the more reasonable crooks. As far as internet, If I had a choice between AT&T and my Netscape Dial-up from 20 years ago then Yay Netscape! In short,  I would sign a contract with the devil himself before I ever ever ever sign another one with AT&T.  

Update Six:

Thanks to an awesome customer service rep named Lisa -Yes you heard me say awesome- I now no longer owe them anything.
 
My takes from this: 
 
1. Lisa needs a pay raise. 
2. They need to hire more people like her. 
3. I probably still won't use them again, but I still give credit where credit is due.    Maybe if they had more people like her, I'd still be a customer. 

Update Seven:
 
Well the AT&T nightmare is not over.... Now they're claiming I owe them $4500..
When will this end? I have TOO MUCH on me right now. I feel on the verge of a very serious breakdown I cannot afford to have. This has got to stop now. It's too much. It's far too much going on right now. I simply cannot deal with all of this.
 
Update Eight: Maybe it's solved now. We'll see. The element of trust with these folks has devolved to Road Warrior status since day 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment